Common people mostly have fickle minds; they’re always guided by what they want to believe, often to their advantage. When they’re worried, frightened and clueless about the future they’re most susceptible to doubt and conspiracy theories. Going back 6 months people throughout the globe are extremely disturbed by the COVID 19 pandemic, not so much due to the deadly effects of the virus compared to the restrictions and lock-downs derailing normal life it’s introduced its wake. They desperately need to return to the sweet normal times and live happily ever after, and therefore they jump to simply accept and believe fully when some motivated souls offer that’COVID 19 is a joke, it’s only a’annual influenza ‘. Thus the’doubt virus’is created and the social networking as always helps it spread-at times even more quickly compared to the killer virus. Possibly the basic impulses for skepticism stem from the facts that over 80 of Coronavirus positive cases are mild in nature and recover easily, only seniors with co-morbidity are most vulnerable and that on average the death rate is low at 1 to 4% except for some countries. However, facts also reveal that the dead includes young adults too and everyone can be infected using this most contagious virus.
The conspiracy theories originated in the United States, as always, where extraordinarily’democratic’parts of the citizens opposed the lockdown and restrictions from the beginning symbolizing these with the’agenda’of President Trump. Several conspiracy theories linking even the tragic murder of George Floyd started doing the rounds in the US of which we won’t make a description here just to stop vulnerable minds go through and inculcate doubts. We’d only like to say here that writer got a social media forward giving a link to articles by some’enlightened soul’who took pains of great arguments to’prove’that the pandemic is a’political hoax ‘. Even as we mentioned earlier plenty of vulnerable people got influenced by this, and none other when compared to a medical surgeon of the Indian state of Assam who even lodged a FIR alleging that only a’annual influenza’has been labeled as a pandemic and he wanted action from the concerned governments. This, naturally, created a sequence of reactions in the state driving news channels asking the hapless common people about their’doubts’on the COVID 19 infections rather than destroying the dilemma.
Now, this’annual influenza’theory breaks down at the fundamental premise itself: if that’s so then this phenomenon must be occurring annually, and why then this season ought to be so different! Governments do not need to have gone on an emergency drive to generate more and more healthcare facilities including ICU beds simply to tackle an annual event of flu. Then come the experiences of numerous affected countries and governments tackling this’annual influenza’some of which we narrate below as arguments to break such forms of fake and motivated views:
1. Let us take the exemplory case of the Chinese experiment. Ignoring plenty of conspiracy theories about China itself we just ask here why would China need absolute authoritarian measures to tackle the virus (well, even annual influenza is the effect of a virus) with regards to continuous lockdown and rigorous enforcement โควิด 19. After being successful keeping in mind the infected numbers below 100,000 the country continues to be fearing another outbreak, and risking its economic downswing again to stop its spread. Its aggression against India can be explained as part of its apparent desperation. An annual flu cannot explain these.
2. Why would countries like UK, Italy, Spain, France, USA and Brazil suffer so much from an annual influenza that killed over fifty percent a million to date and continues to be on its deadly prowls? Why would Italy reduce itself to circumstances of helplessness with dead bodies of Corona patients littered everywhere or why would a German finance minister commit suicide over Corona worries? How one would be to account fully for a death rate of over 14% (seen in several countries) for an annual influenza virus?
3. Why would the doctors and experts of the World Health Organization carry on telling’lies’that the brand new Coronavirus is very dangerous that would probably stay for a lot more than 2 yrs and the worst is yet ahead despite whatever campaigns or actions going on or taken against it? We seemed to possess accepted initially that pandemic is the biggest crisis ever faced by humankind. Now, why have second thoughts and doubts?
4. Why would countries across the world carry on taking huge risks for an economic crash with unprecedented unemployment and pave the way in which for a recession possibly even worse compared to the Great Depression? In particular, why a developing country and a most promising upcoming world power like India should risk whatever it’s achieved in development so far.
5. Why is this kind of mad rush throughout the globe to fast-track production of a vaccine against only an annual flu? At least this intensive medical research cannot mask a hidden agenda whatever which could be.
In the last couple of days new cases in India have now been rising at nearly 25000 each day with the only real solace that daily recoveries increasing steadily and the death rate is fortunately still low; the concern being a rising positivity rate indicating community transmission. As of this crucial juncture we must not pay heed to conspiracy theories and fake news. Such theories have obvious goals: to generate publicity for unknown persons or groups or to make a kill with regards to profit. For instance, if your link for articles with sensational and terrifying headlines gets circulated across social networking and motivated media outlets think of the kind of clicks being generated which directly translate into money.